May is International Mediterranean Diet Month. In recognition of this little known event, I’d like you to answer these questions about your usual food choices:
- Do you use olive oil as your main culinary oil?
- Do you consume two to four cups of non-starchy vegetables per day, such as bell peppers, cabbage, celery, eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini, spinach, or onions?
- Do you eat at least two servings of fruit per day, such as apples, dates, grapes, or berries?
- Do you have a serving of beans or legumes two to four times per week, such as lentils or chickpeas?
- Do you include one to two ounces of nuts per day, such as walnuts, almonds, or pistachios?
- Do you enjoy two or more fish meals per week that feature salmon, tuna, or sardines?
- Do you eat breakfast every morning?
- Do you have one to two daily servings of yogurt or cheese, such as feta or mozzarella?
- Do you have a serving of whole grains at most meals, such as oatmeal, whole grain bread, or quinoa?